Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Wedding Project #2: Votives

Hello lovelies- yes, it is time again for another post about wedding crafting. I wasn't joking when I said that He and Me would be doing a BAZILLION.

The latest formed out of my desire to have some seriously bomb.com table lighting for the reception- in the form of mercury glass votive candle holders.

If you're familiar with the pricing of actual mercury glass objects, you would know that they are not even in our zip code wedding-budget wise. What's a girl to do? Make her own!

I googled probably about 7 tutorials for this process, and basically tweaked it to be my own from there. I purchased 2 boxes of 72 small frosted glass votive holders at a local place called City Liquidators (a catch-all for random knick-knacks). Below are the steps I followed to turn these plain holders into "mercury glass" ones-- and the supplies I used.

Supplies:
  • A drop cloth
  • Gloves
  • Mask
  • Metallic spray paint in your choice of color (in this case, gold)
  • Spray paint trigger attachment (if this doesn't seem like a necessary supply, think to yourself, there were 144 of these that I needed to get done....)
  • A small spray bottle
  • Water
  • White Vinegar
  • Paper Towels
Process:
  1.  Set up a dry, and preferably wind-free area to work in, lay drop cloth, and put on gloves and mask
  2.  Prepare in the spray bottle a mixture of the water and vinegar- equal parts 
  3. First, spray the piece with the mixture of vinegar and water, (in this case, I did the outside of the vessels, because they were frosted glass. However, some tutorials will tell you to do it on the inside of the vessel-as it is closer to the look of actual mercury glass--- it's all up to you!). You want the water/vinegar mixture to go on light and covering the whole piece
  4. While it's still wet, spray paint the piece. Let sit
  5. After about 30 seconds or so (this is all a guess and check kind of thing), gently wipe down the piece with a paper towel. The paint should flake off in random patterns. Be careful to not remove too much in one section. This process is delicate.
Below is the finished project, and I have to say, I'm crazy proud of them. They look amazing.

Where it started.....                                    Where it ended.........

No comments:

Post a Comment